“Women (men) never have a half-hour in all their lives that they can call their own, without fear of offending or of hurting someone. Why do people sit up so late, or, more rarely, get up so early? Not because the day is not long enough, but because they have ‘no time in the day to themselves…” ~Florence Nightingale
Both women and men do too much these days. They give so much care, love, attention and energy to the people around them. Whether it is your family or work or community there are a lot of places where your caring attention is needed. However, if you are not caring for yourself, you can hardly care for others.
Most of us have a real problem when it comes to dedicating undivided attention to ourselves. You have to be able to shut the outside world and influences to cleanse your mental and soul palate. Without alone, self-reflection and connection time you will run yourself dry. Here are some ways to love yourself:
1. Create space–mental and physical. Do something just for yourself without your spouse or children or friends. Be somewhere unconnected with anything else. It can be getting a massage, going on a walk by yourself or having a space in the house that is totally yours.
2. Have regular get-aways just by yourself. When your mental and physical reserves are drained by constant sharing of your energy with people you love and care about, you need to be on your own and get away. Only then, you can give more both quality/quantity time and attention to others.
3. Everyone is responsible for their own happiness. If happiness of others is important to you, make sure you make your happiness a priority. If you are happy, it will contribute to happiness of others. That is why it is so crucial to take care of yourself first. Love yourself and the rest will follow.
4. Make yourself top priority. If there is something important to you–whether it is regular exercise or going to bed early–make it happen.
5. Be selfish. Schedule regular times for tending to things that are only about you. Plan something just for yourself to look forward to. When you take time to care for yourself you can give so much more to those around you.
6. Relax and feel good about it. We all need to completely unwind from time to time and it is absolutely necessary for our well-being. However, many feel guilty about it. Remember, if you don’t tend to yourself, you are not good to tending to others.
Your job is you. And you deserve just as much love and attention as those around you. Everyday, think about ways to love yourself and do something for your well-being. Walk around the block or take hot bath with lavender infused salt to refresh and relax your body. Have a glass of wine with a good read to stimulate your mind. Find ways that replenish your mind, body and soul on regular basis. Remember–when you are good to yourself, you are good to those you care about.